Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Introducing the St. Albert Grain Elevator site summer staff!


The St. Albert Grain Elevator Park (SAGE) heritage site opened on the Victoria Day long weekend in May.  We hope you will drop by this summer season to check out some of the coolest buildings in all of St. Albert!  Each week, the site will be open to the public from Wednesday to Sunday, and holiday Mondays, 10 am - 5pm, until Labour Day.


Come and get to know our staff who are always happy to show you around and talk about the historic grain elevators and the train station.

Meet our SAGE interpreters (left to right): Kassandra, Gwen, and Katharyn
Hi everybody! I’m Gwen, the lead interpreter for the 2015 season at the St. Albert Grain Elevator park. Our schedule is busier than ever before, with educational programs running weekly, wedding photos and ceremonies on the weekends, the return of our popular Craft Thursdays, two food truck events [yes, TWO,] Dominion Day celebrations and more throughout the summer months. Of course, we’re also open to the public for tours of our 1906 and 1929 elevators, our replica train station, our gardens and more! For my part, being a political science student eight months a year has led me to conclude that it’s the people that count most of all: I love nothing better than being able to share the storied past of this place with visitors young and old, from near or far. Although I must admit the fresh cookies and lemonade are awfully good too…so drop in and see us this summer Wednesday to Sunday from 10am until 5pm each week!

Hello hello! I’m Kassandra, and I am one of the historical interpreters at the St. Albert Grain Elevators this summer. I am a university student entering my (hopefully) last year, specializing in fine arts, arts and cultural management, and public relations and communications. I have a love for history, and all things cultural, and I am very excited to be a part of the Heritage team this year! You will probably see me at the train station making cookies, crocheting as much as possible, and trying to get into costumes at every given opportunity. Although this is my first year with the team, I feel as if it is going to be a very exciting summer!

Bonjour! My name is Katharyn and I am also a historical interpreter at the St. Albert Grain Elevator Park. This is my first year, however I have been involved with volunteer work with the Arts and Heritage Foundation for many years, working at special events, assisting at the museum and helping with children's programs with my mother, so you could say my love for history is in my DNA. Although I applied for the job so that I could learn more about local and regional history “first-hand” (as I am taking many history courses in university) I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun the job is. So far my favorite part of being an interpreter is seeing the excitement that learning brings to children in our programs--who knew washing socks could make kids so happy?  Also, the Grain Elevators are pretty cool you should drop by and check them out!

For more information about the St. Albert Grain Elevator Park or to find out more about our 2015 summer and fall events go to MuseeHeritage.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment